Underactive thyroid symptoms should not be taken for granted. Underactive thyroid happens when your thyroid glands produces insufficient hormones. Commonly known as hypothyroidism, underactive thyroid should be addressed immediately because the moment the condition progress, its effect can be detrimental to your health. Before you can assume that you are suffering from underactive thyroid, you need to know the most common underactive thyroid symptoms. However, be aware that underactive thyroid symptoms can come off as common as other disease symptoms. Due to it, many people are left unaware about their real condition. They might have the problem already but fail to address it due to lack of knowledge.
Underactive thyroid symptoms might be difficult to determine but it is also of utmost important that you know it – despite its commonness. After all, if you are experiencing underactive thyroid symptoms and you aren’t so sure about it, you can always pay your doctor a visit. As a matter of fact, checking with your doctor is an important measure for you to assess your real condition – if those underactive thyroid symptoms you experience are for real or something that should not bother you in the first place. Below are the most common underactive thyroid symptoms a person with thyroid problems might encounter.
- Weight gain. Because your metabolism is being disturbed, this can result to gaining more weight. Metabolism allows you to burn off fats and calories. Thyroid hormones are responsible for regulating your metabolism so whenever there is a hormone deficiency, most likely that your metabolism will slow up. Underactive thyroid symptoms will allow you to gain weight – despite your effort to lose weight such as undergoing extensive work out and diet.
- Hair loss. The moment when your hair falls off naturally – even without combing it or any condition that allows you to lose your hair, then you should consider the idea of having hypothyroidism.
- Constipation. The moment your metabolism is affected, so as your digestive system too. When the food that you eat isn’t digested properly, constipation occurs. A healthy body needs to have regular bowel movement.
- Sleepiness. If you feel like you want to sleep longer hours despite having an 8 hour sleep and you aren’t have any known condition that might cause you to experience sleepiness such as pregnant women does, then you might probably suffering from hypothyroidism .
- Personality problems. People with hypothyroidism might experience mood swings, depression and anxiety. If you aren’t like this before, check with your doctor immediately. Any changes in your personality and emotional aspects have always something to do with hormonal imbalance inside your body.
Underactive thyroid symptoms can also advance as the condition progress. Advance underactive thyroid symptoms might cause you to suffer inability to bear a child – infertility in other words. Underactive thyroid symptoms can also allow you to experience swelling of your thyroid glands. This is when the term “goiter” comes in. Apart from that, a pregnant woman who suffers from underactive thyroid and doesn’t treat it can raise the risk of having abnormalities on their new born baby. You should also be careful with determining underactive thyroid symptoms because untreated hypothyroidism can also lead to enlargement of your heart. You see, underactive thyroid problems doesn’t stop at interfering with your metabolism activity but as well as can allow you to have heart problems.
Underactive thyroid symptoms can be avoided if you only how to address the problem and that is through tracing its cause. There are many possible causes of hypothyroidism but the most common causes include:
- Iodine deficiency
- Hypothalamus disorder
- Foods that block off thyroid gland activity
- Autoimmune disorder
- Exposure to radiation
For you to be sure that your suspicions are true – that you have hypothyroidism condition because you seem to experience a lot of underactive thyroid symptoms, it is always great that you pay close attention to your body’s feelings. Did you ever encounter feeling cold even when the day is hot? Or has never felt this before because you are quite busy with other things? Sometimes, no matter how prevalent underactive thyroid symptoms may be, you will still not notice it when you don’t give your attention to it. Start caring for your body today and be alert to any underactive thyroid symptoms now.